On January 19th, Judy Polacheck, Boston employment lawyer at Polacheck HR Law LLC, presented, “Best Practices for Legally Hiring and Managing Independent Contractors and Gig Workers,” to resident companies at Boston co-working space, WeWork. The workshop covered important legal issues for small businesses when they hire contractors, and provided best practices to protect against lawsuits. Specific topics included:
- Common misconceptions about independent contractors
- How to distinguish between employees and independent contractors
- Ramifications and penalties for misclassification, including individual liability for officers
- Temp agencies, outsourcing companies, online labor markets and other “intermediaries” documentation and reporting
- Dos and don’ts for managing contingent workers
Polacheck is an employment attorney devoted to helping businesses manage their workforce, contingent workforce and global employment issues. Polacheck takes a preventative approach to helping employers stay compliant and avoid employment conflicts. She is a Co-Chair of the American Bar Association International Section’s Employment Law Committee, and is a member of the Boston Bar Association and its International Section Steering Committee. Polacheck also serves on the Talent Advisory Board of the MassTLC (Technology Leadership Council).