Judy Polacheck is an HR lawyer who helps businesses manage their U.S. and global workforces. She is outside employment counsel to companies in the technology sector, life sciences and other industries, working with them on employment law compliance and the management of employment risk. Judy has extensive experience as a legal advisor, document drafter, negotiator, litigator, trainer and investigator.
Judy practiced commercial litigation with larger firms in New York City and Boston before finding her niche in HR Law. Working in HR Law taps Judy’s particular skills and interests. Judy’s effectiveness in drafting documents lies in her ability to get “in the weeds” with precise language and nuanced legal analysis while keeping sight of the “forest.” The role of a legal advisor on employee issues also demands a deep awareness of the human situation, including emotional and interpersonal issues. That also plays to a strength of Judy’s. Her group trainings and workshops are engaging because of Judy’s strong presence and creative voice. And clients trust her investigations because of her curiosity and openness, and her commitment to the highest ethical standards.
Audiences commend Judy for entertaining presentations and informative group conversations that respond to their needs. Judy enjoys conference talks, workshops and trainings, and lunch-and-learns, particularly where there are opportunities for meaningful interchange with attendees. Most common topics are worker classification as independent contractors or employees; gig economy; employment law basics; harassment, discrimination and diversity; and cross-border employment. Her audiences are local, national and international.
Recent and upcoming presentations include:
Memberships & Affiliations
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association International Section’s Employment Law Committee
- Member, Talent Advisory Board, MassTLC (Technology Leadership Council)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Co-chair, International Startup and Emerging Companies Forum, American Bar Association Section of International Law, 2019, San Francisco
- Massachusetts and New York
Education and Training
- Certification courses on leading workplace trainings and on conducting investigations, Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
- J.D., Columbia Law School; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- B.A., cum laude, in psychology, Harvard University